If you’re looking to add a bit of Cajun flavor to your dinner menu, shrimp étouffée is the perfect choice. This classic dish is packed with flavor and easy to make. Here’s what you will need and how to prepare it.
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shrimp stock (or seafood broth or chicken stock)
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (or frozen peeled and deveined cooked shrimp)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning (or Cajun seasoning)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Rice or cooked pasta for serving (optional)
- Optional step if you want to make your own shrimp stock. Start by collecting shrimp shells from a recent meal or purchase them from the grocery store. In a large pot, combine the shells with a few tablespoons of shrimp creole and crawfish tails. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 1-2 hours. Strain out any solids, season with salt to taste.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, green onions, and garlic, and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour to form a thick paste. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes to lightly brown the flour.
- Slowly pour in the stock while whisking continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Stir in the shrimp along with the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (if using), Creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper.
- Cook until the shrimp are cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and melted butter just before serving, along with cooked rice or pasta (if using). Serve hot and enjoy!
Whether you are a Cajun food fan or just looking for an easy and flavorful dinner option, shrimp etouffee is the perfect choice. With simple ingredients and straightforward instructions, this dish is sure to be rated 5 stars by your family.