Gumbo is a traditional Cajun dish made with a flavorful roux, vegetables, and either seafood or meat. Today, we’re making an easy-to-follow recipe for authentic chicken and andouille sausage gumbo. This dish is packed with flavor from the chicken and sausage, plus bell peppers, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and more. It’s sure to be a hit at your next dinner party!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of chicken andouille sausage (sliced into ½ inch rounds)
- 1 pound of skinless chicken thighs (diced into bite-sized pieces), you can also substitute with equivalent amount of rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken
- 1 cup of chopped bell peppers (any color)
- 1½ cups of diced onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of chicken stock or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce (or to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the andouille sausage to the pot and cook until it is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, bell peppers, onion, and garlic to the pot. Cook until the chopped vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and stir to combine with other ingredients. Cook for 1 minute while stirring continuously so that no lumps form in the mixture.
- Add the chicken stock or broth to the pot and stir to combine with other ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the Cajun seasoning, hot sauce, bay leaves, black pepper, and cayenne pepper (to taste). Stir to combine all ingredients and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve the Cajun gumbo hot with your favorite side dishes such as rice or grits.
This is is one of those easy-to-follow gumbo recipes for homemade chicken and andouille sausage gumbo is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party! Packed full of flavor from the chicken and sausage plus bell pepper, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, and more this hearty dish is sure to please everyone at the table.
Bonus Tip: For an extra kick of flavor, add a splash of dry white wine to the pot while cooking. This will help bring out all the rich flavors of this dish.