A macchiato is an espresso coffee drink with a small amount of milk. "Macchiato" means "marked" in Italian, referring to the milk that "marks" or "stains" the coffee.
A macchiato is made by pulling a shot of espresso and then adding a small amount of steamed milk. The milk is added to the espresso in a ratio of 1:1, 1:2, or 1:3 espresso to milk.
If you want to make a macchiato at home, all you need is an espresso machine and some whole milk.
How to Make a Macchiato at Home
Here's what you'll need to make a macchiato at home:
- An espresso machine
- Whole milk
- A shot glass or other small cup
- A teaspoon
- A coffee mug
- Optional: flavored syrups
Once you have all your supplies, follow these steps to make your macchiato:
- Heat up your espresso machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. while it's heating up, warm up your milk in a saucepan on the stove over low heat.
- Once the espresso machine is heated, pull a shot of espresso into the shot glass or small cup.
- Add steamed milk to the espresso in a ratio of 1:1, 1:2, or 1:3 espresso to milk. Stir well with a teaspoon.
- Pour the mixture into a coffee mug and enjoy! If you want, you can add flavored syrups like vanilla, caramel, or hazelnut before stirring and enjoying.
- That's it! You've just made a macchiato at home. Enjoy!
Want to know what is the best Italian coffee? Check out our guide here!