If you're a fan of coffee drinks, chances are you've heard of a cortado. But what is a cortado, exactly? Simply put, a cortado is a espresso drink that is "cut" with a small amount of milk. Cortados are popular in many coffee-producing countries, including Spain, Portugal, and Latin America. Here in the United States, they're beginning to gain popularity as well. Interested in learning how to make your own cortado at home? Read on for a quick and easy recipe!
What You'll Need:
- Espresso machine
- Freshly ground coffee beans
- Coffee mug or cup
- Small saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
Making your cortado:
- Start by grinding your coffee beans. You'll want to use a relatively coarse grind for this recipe.
- Next, set up your espresso machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once it's heated up, pull a shot of espresso into your mug or cup.
- While the espresso is brewing, Heat up the milk in the saucepan over low heat. You don't want the milk to get too hot—you just want it scalded so that it will froth easily. Use a thermometer to check the temperature of the milk; it should be between 155 and 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Froth the milk using an immersion blender or hand frother. If you don't have either of these tools, you can simply whisk the milk vigorously by hand until it's frothy. Be careful not to overdo it, though—you don't want to make butter!
- Once the milk is frothy, add it to the espresso until your drink reaches the desired level of sweetness and creaminess. For a traditional cortado, this ratio is usually 1:1 (one part espresso to one part milk). However, feel free to adjust it according to your personal preference.
- Stir gently and enjoy! If you want to get fancy, you can garnish your drink with a sprinkle of cocoa powder or cinnamon.
A cortado is a delicious espresso drink that is perfect for coffee lovers who are looking for something a little different. And now that you know how to make one at home, there's no excuse not to give it a try! So go ahead and fire up that espresso machine—your perfect cortado awaits.
Want to know what are the best coffee syrups ? Check out our guide here!