Everyone loves a sweet treat now and then, and one of the most delightful desserts you can make is chocolate mousse. Rich and creamy, it’s a classic dessert that tastes great but isn’t difficult to make. Here are some simple steps for making your own delicious chocolate mousse at home.
The first step to making any recipe is to gather the ingredients you need. For this chocolate mousse recipe, you’ll need the following:
- semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- heavy cream
- eggs (yolks only)
- vanilla extract
You should be able to find all of these ingredients in the baking aisle of your local grocery store. Make sure you have enough for four servings before getting started.
Once you have all the ingredients on hand, it’s time to start cooking!
- Begin by melting the chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl until they are completely melted and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until it forms soft peaks, then add in the sugar and mix until combined.
- In a third bowl, whisk together egg yolks with salt and vanilla extract until blended.
- Now take your melted chocolate and slowly fold it into the egg mixture until blended; be careful not to overmix here!
- Then gently fold in the whipped cream mixture until everything is evenly mixed together; again, be careful not to overmix here either!
- Finally, add in a tablespoon of butter - this will give your mousse an extra bit of richness - then pour your mixture into four small ramekins or serving dishes.
- Cover each dish with plastic wrap then place them in the refrigerator for two hours so that they set up properly.
- When done chilling, serve your easy chocolate mousse chilled with fresh berries or whatever topping you like!
Chocolate mousse is one of those classic desserts that everyone loves but few people think they can make themselves at home—but there's no reason why not!
With just a handful of simple ingredients from your local store and following these easy instructions above, anyone can make their own delicious mousse at home in no time at all! So don't wait any longer—gather up what you need today and get cooking; your taste buds will thank you later!
Want to know what is the best chocolate for melting? Check out our guide here!