Jambalaya is a delicious combination of savory ingredients that can be made with ease and convenience in your slow cooker. This classic Cajun dish is full of flavor, packing a punch with its combination of smoked sausage, chicken, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, creole seasoning, and cajun seasoning. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or something to make ahead of time for leftovers later in the week, this is one of those easy delicious recipes that is sure to please. Read on to learn how to make it!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb andouille sausage cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast halves (skinless), cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 1 bell pepper (any color), seeded and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 14½ ounce can diced tomatoes with juices (do not drain)
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice or 1 packet instant rice
- Optional: additional creole/cajun seasonings to taste if desired
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sausage slices and cook for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the skinless chicken breast pieces to the skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes until lightly browned as well. Remove from heat.
- Grease the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray or butter/oil.
- Add all ingredients except for the cooked rice/instant rice to the crock pot in this order – bell pepper, onion, garlic, creole seasoning, cajun seasoning, diced tomatoes with juices, chicken broth (make sure not to add any uncooked meat).
- Stir everything together until combined evenly then cover with lid and cook on high heat setting for 4 hours or low heat setting for 6 hours.
- If using instant rice – 30 minutes before serving stir in uncooked instant rice then replace lid and continue cooking as normal for remaining time until done cooking completely.
- If using cooked rice – stir in cooked rice during last 10 minutes of cooking time then replace lid and continue cooking normally until done completely.
- Serve warm over cooked white or brown rice if desired along with hot sauce if desired; Enjoy!
Note: Leftover jambalaya will keep refrigerated up to 5 days when stored tightly sealed; reheat in microwave when ready to eat again!
With just a handful of simple ingredients you can have delicious crockpot jambalaya ready in no time at all! This easy slow cooker recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you need something flavorful but don’t have a lot of time on your hands.
Best of all? You can make enough leftovers that you won’t have to worry about what’s for dinner another night either! Give this amazing dish a try today—you won’t regret it! Happy eating!