Jambalaya is a classic Cajun dish that combines rice, chicken and sausage. It's a flavorful and hearty one-pot meal that can be prepared in less than an hour. This easy jambalaya recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners because it doesn't require a lot of time or effort to make.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes (or diced tomatoes with juice)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup of white long grain brown rice
- 2 green onions chopped (for garnish)
- Hot sauce or hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat then add the diced chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken until lightly browned on all sides then add the andouille sausage and cook for another 5 minutes until the smoked sausage is lightly browned.
- Add the bell pepper, celery and garlic to the pot then season with cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper if using.
- Stir everything together until combined then add in the chicken broth and stir to combine everything again.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cans of tomatoes with their juices plus tomato paste, stir everything together then bring back up to a simmer before adding in your rice.
- Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or until your rice is cooked through stirring occasionally.
- Serve your jambalaya topped with chopped green onions plus hot sauce or hot pepper sauce if desired.
Now you know how easy it is to make this delicious jambalaya recipe! All you need are some simple ingredients like boneless skinless chicken breast, Andouille sausage, canned tomatoes, hot sauce or hot pepper sauce, plus some herbs and spices like Cajun seasoning and cayenne pepper (if you desire). Enjoy this easy one pot meal that's ready in under an hour!
And don't forget to top it off with some chopped green onions for garnish before serving. Bon Appétit!