Roasting your own coffee at home is a great way to control the quality and flavor of your brew. It may sound daunting, but with a little practice anyone can do it! In this blog post we'll cover the basics of home coffee roasting, including what you'll need to get started and some helpful tips to get you roasting like a pro in no time.
What You'll Need
The good news is that you don't need much to start roasting coffee at home. A few basic supplies are all you need to get started:
- A coffee roaster. There are many different types of coffee roasters available on the market, from simple air roasters to more complex drum roasters. Do some research to find the best roaster for your needs and budget.
- Green coffee beans. These can be sourced from your local coffee shop or online. Make sure to buy beans that are meant for home roasting (unroasted beans).
- A cooling tray or baking sheet. This is used to quickly cool the beans after they have been roasted.
Once you have your supplies, you're ready to start roasting! The process is actually pretty simple:
- Preheat your roaster according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Place the desired amount of beans into the roaster.
- Start the roast cycle and keep an eye on the beans. They should reach a dark golden brown color after about 10 minutes or so.
- Once they reach the desired darkness, stop the roast cycle and immediately transfer the beans to the cooling tray or baking sheet. Allow them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- Enjoy your fresh-roasted coffee! Roasting coffee at home is a fun and rewarding hobby that anyone can enjoy with a little practice. We hope this blog post has given you some helpful tips to get started. Happy roasting!
Want to know what are the best home coffee roasters? Check out our guide here!