If you’re looking for a classic Cajun side dish to add to your dinner repertoire, look no further than Cajun Corn Maque Choux! This dish is easy to make and packs a ton of flavor. It’s sure to become a family favorite in no time. Read on for the this authentic maque choux recipe and instructions!
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease (or butter)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels (or fresh if available) or 2 cans of drained canned corn kernels or 2 cups of fresh corn cut from the cobs
- 1 cup of corn milk made with 2 cups water + 2 corn cobs (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cajun seasoning (or more to taste)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, minced (for garnish)
- Heat the bacon grease or butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the bell peppers and onion and cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute then add corn mixture and corn milk (if using). Cook for 4-5 minutes more until all of the ingredients are combined and heated through.
- Add cajun seasoning, salt & pepper to taste and stir together until everything is well blended.
- Pour in the heavy cream, stir to combine then reduce heat to low and cover the skillet. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the skillet and add diced tomatoes and parsley then simmer for 5 more minutes before removing from heat.
- Sprinkle with green onions (optional) before serving. Enjoy!
With just a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, you can create a delicious side dish in no time flat. Cajun Corn Maque Choux is sure to become a family favorite! Serve it up as an accompaniment to your favorite Cajun food or simply enjoy it on its own - either way, this tasty treat will have you coming back for seconds! Bon Appétit!