Shrimp and grits is a classic southern comfort food that is packed with flavor. This easy shrimp and creamy grits recipe features stone ground grits, cheddar cheese, creole seasoning, bacon fat, and other delicious ingredients. The result is a flavorful dish that’s perfect for any occasion. Read on to learn how to make this simple yet delicious cheesy grits recipe!
- 2 cups of stone ground grits (or yellow grits)
- 4 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons of bacon fat (saved after you cook bacon) or substitute with butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of creole seasoning (or your favorite seasoning blend)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup of minced green onions (or diced yellow onion)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 pound of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined 1 lemon wedge for garnish (optional)
- Fried fish for garnish (optional)
- Yellow corn for garnish (optional)
- Lemon Juice to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat.
- Add the grits and stir until well combined.
- Reduce the heat to medium heat to low heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the grits are cooked through.
- Once the grits are cooked, stir in the cheddar cheese and bacon fat until melted.
- Add the creole seasoning, cayenne pepper (if using), green onion, and garlic to the grits and mix well. Taste and adjust any seasonings as desired.
- In a separate pan, sauté the shrimp in a tablespoon of butter or bacon fat until they are pink and slightly charred on the outside, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the shrimp to the grits mixture and gently stir to combine. Serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges, fried fish, and/or corn kernels if desired. Enjoy that delicious grits taste!