Everyone loves a good jambalaya. It’s a classic Cajun meal of rice, vegetables, and meat (or seafood!) that is packed with flavor. But what if you want to enjoy the flavors of jambalaya without the animal products? Welcome to vegan jambalaya! This traditional dish can be easily made vegan by substituting vegan sausage for the meat or seafood. Read on for an easy-to-follow recipe that will make your next vegan jambalaya a hit!
Ingredients You Will Need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked red kidney beans (or canned, drained and rinsed)
- 4-6 vegan Italian sausage, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice, cooked separately according to package directions (see below)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cajun spices to taste
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the bell peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Stir in the garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), and hot sauce (if using).
- Continue cooking for 1 minute to allow the spices to bloom.
- Add in the vegetable broth and beans, stirring well to combine. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 5-10 minutes while you prepare the rice separately and sausage rounds.
- In a separate skillet or pot, begin heating some water over high heat until it reaches a rolling boil. Add the sausage rounds and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- To assemble the jambalaya, add the cooked rice to the skillet with the vegetables and broth.
- Stir well to combine, then season with black pepper and additional Cajun spices as desired.
- Serve immediately, topped with the cooked vegan sausage rounds.
If you love the flavors of classic jambalaya but are looking for a meatless meal option, then this vegan jambalaya recipe is just what you need! With simple ingredients like bell peppers, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper or hot sauce (optional), veggie broth or stock, kidney beans, and vegan Italian sausages or tofu, you can easily create this delicious and satisfying meal in just a few simple steps with minimal cooking time. So what are you waiting for? Get cooking and enjoy all the flavors of jambalaya without any animal products!